Comprehensive Dental Exams
Itís said that the best place to start is at the very beginning, and with dentistry, it all begins with an initial comprehensive dental examination.
Thatís the place where we lay the groundwork for any future recommendations and thatís where we get a good close up view of your teeth and gums.
Maintaining good oral health is about more than simply correcting painful issues as they arise. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Early detection and prevention is essential in promoting healthy teeth.
At Elison Dental Center, we are proud to offer one of the most comprehensive dental exams patients will find anywhere. You may think that a comprehensive dental exam consists only of a cleaning and a look at your teeth. Actually, thereís quite a bit more to it than just that. An initial comprehensive dental exam includes the following:
- Obtaining a written record that details your medical/dental history, including a listing of all current medications.
- A thorough oral cancer screening, both visually and digitally (using the fingers), checking all of your lymph nodes, lips, tongue and the insides of your mouth and cheeks.
- A series of diagnostic X-rays that provide a comprehensive view of your teeth and condition of your bones.
- A periodontal examination, which includes a thorough screening and assessment of your gums Ė to check for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- An occlusal exam, to check for bite problems (underbite, overbite, crossbite), worn teeth, and jaw problems, such as TMJ.
- Additionally, a meticulous tooth-by-tooth check to identify cavities, examine prior treatment and restorations and the current condition each, locate any chipped, cracked or missing teeth, or identify any work that needs to be performed.
You can feel confident that the dental exams received at Elison Dental Center are comprehensive and recorded for future visits and treatments.